A walk to the stables

A walk to the stables
Tamerin at the horses: we walked there on Thursday and talked rugby nearly all the way!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Some objectives for June

I realise we have not done lapbooks yet- I have forgotten about them somehow. Its a pity. They are definitely still on the agenda.
Tammy's language is coming along. I understand her speech better, but she is still inclined to rush when she gets excited and then speech becomes clipped e.g. "He go, you turn, like this (gesture) down...at the back.." Then I have to get her to slow down: "Come again. I missed that. Where did you go?" Poor speech patterns from the past persists e.g. "You want some tea?" instead of "Do you want some tea?" Past tense is still formed through the use of "did" - a habit of many South Africans! "What did you eat?" "We did eat..." However Tamerin now says "I want to show you what my mother did bought for me..." It is going to take lots of practice still to get rid of that "did".

Language exam will include
  • Spelling
  • Comprehension (filling in missing words and answering questions on a passage and choosing the correct option out of given words),
  • Grammar (rewrite in the past tense; say whether it is a verb or a noun).
  • Speech (reciting a poem, telling what she has read and talking about any topic she chooses. I hope to record it again so as to compare her speech with evaluation done in April.)
  • One minute reading - same level as November 2008 (My Secret Unicorn) as well as from new text (Disney World Website or Zac Efron Annual. She can choose.)
  • Creative writing: Make sentences with..... and Blog post.
We are still revising government structure and so far it is going well. She has remembered much of earlier discussions and knows what someone who works in a government department is called, she knows what "Correctional services" "Department of Health", "National Treasury" etc. are. "Etc." is also a term that she learned this week! It is often used in the dictionary and a very necessary abbreviation! My aim with the government theme is simply to help her to understand news and to be able to read a newspaper with understanding. There is a wealth of vocabulary here: public, private, tax, income, service, official, department, office, etc. etc. (Wink!)

As far as her journeying with the Lord is concerned: She still finds it hard to express what she understands at first when we read the Bible, but after we have discussed it and I have lead her with questions, her insight is quite amazing. E.g. that if Jesus is the seed from which our new life comes, people should be able to see Jesus in us, the same way you would see a mealie after you have planted a mealie. (1Peter 1:23) (See her Bible verse blog). After choosing and copying a Bible verse from the passage we read, she has to write "The Italics" i.e. what she understands the verse / passage is saying to her. Of course I help, especially with sentence construction, but in the end it is her record of what we have discussed. We have mostly been doing Bible study out of Matthew - we have just finished Chapter 7. It is a very satisfying and enlightening study.
God has a purpose here and I continue to pray for wisdom!

4 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Good to see the language requirements in the exam and the goals which you are covering. And that you really do 'access all areas'.

Would love to see more of your work on Matthew and his Gospel as well. Yes, the insight really is amazing. A lot of people do struggle with God in their lives, without the exegesis and analysis that they do.

Do/did/done is a problem, I agree! That's because it is an auxillary verb, like be. (At least 'be' has a clear past tense: was/were).

The long post here was much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Great objectives! I didn't get any lapbooks done last year. :( We started one on India, which I think we will finish this year. We will be studying that country in depth so I should be able to incorporate the lapbook then.

The ones we have done are so great, because the boys go back every now and then and look at what they did. It's like a mini refresher course!

Thanks for asking about my back. I am doing much better and spending most of my days on me feet. But, I am required to take it easy! I am trying!!

Miekie said...

Dear Adelaide
Thank you for your prompt comments. I did not realize that Tammy's Bible verse blog was not on my Blog list! I have added it now, so if you click on it, you can see what we have read and discussed. The terminology might not be very correct, because of limited understanding - especially last year - but this blog reflects a very special journey Tammy and I had learning about God. I would love to hear your comments on "How to become a child of God" (Thursday, August 14, 2008). It is sometimes difficult to explain God's grace and that we are saved through grace and grace alone - but also that we have a choice: we have to choose whether we want to follow Jesus or not (Narrow and wide road), but that our good deeds are not what gets us into heaven.

Dear Jen
Glad to hear you back's better. You sound very active to me - hope you don't injure yourself. Please post pics of the children's lapbooks. We could perhaps also do lapbooks on different countries - starting with S.A. of course.

Fatcat said...

It sounds like she's really learning a lot. One of the doctors I type for uses some strange verb combinations in his sentences too!