A walk to the stables

A walk to the stables
Tamerin at the horses: we walked there on Thursday and talked rugby nearly all the way!

Monday, January 26, 2009

High School Musical Mania or How parties can promote language.

Hannah Montana is on ice for the time being. Tammy wants a High School Musical party for her 14th birthday next month. She plans a singing competition and quizz on H.S.M. 1. She will ask the questions, but of course she must know the answers as well. I bought her the book, but plan to give it to her on her birthday. In the meantime I "rewrite" it in Tammy English i.e. in words I know, she knows or can make out. For example instead of self-assured, I write confident, instead of vacation resort, I write ski resort, instead of crisp air, I write cold air. I also leave out most of the jargon about basketball that neither she nor I really understand. (Because time is of the essence right now, I do not want to bother too much with "new" words.) After reading, we watch that part on the DVD again and discuss questions. Her vocabulary is expanding rapidly, and expression is miles better, but still a big handicap for her.

Today we watched the eclipse. We made round holes in a sheet of paper and saw the half moon sun shining through the holes. After the eclipse, the sun shining through the holes made full circles again. She wrote about the eclipse in her diary and her homework is to tell her parents what an eclipse is and what we have seen. We practised the sentences a bit in class and I hope she remembers them. She really tries hard.

We also watched cricket. South Africa thrashed Australia! Tammy seems to understand the game much better. We watched a website which gives the score the continuously for a while. We worked out how many balls were left and how many runs S.A. needed to score in order to win. (Multiplication with 6 and subtraction.) We did the last few "unknown" multiplication tables today. (Last part of 7 and 8 times tables). I am looking forward to teach her multiplication problems. Adding with ones and tens is improving steadily - she understands the concept much better now and got 46/50 for her last homework.

There are so many activities we would like to do and so little time. Please pray for us that we will get our priorities right!

4 comments:

A Bishops Wife said...

Hi, I am new to your blog, I just found it!

I really love this. I especially loved reading your Nov.29th oost about her speech. This was quite an achievement for her and you too.

I am looking forward to learning more about your adventures in learning.

Nicole said...

That's a brilliant idea to use High School Musical (or any other favorite movie or tv show) as a teaching tool! I might borrow this idea as a supplemental part of tutoring for my kiddo. Thanks for sharing.

retha said...

www.sci-bono.co.za

We found during school holidays and weekends there are no school classes visiting. Making it a more pleasant experience.

Miekie said...

Hi Bishops Wife
Welcome to my blog! Yes, the speech was quite an achievement for us. We are enjoying the fruits of it now: on the language side, she has learned to break up words in syllables to master both pronunciation and ability to read longer words and sentence construction is much better. On the knowledge side, many "hooks" were created onto which we now hook new info e.g. news on Gaza, Barack Obama's inauguration, his contact with our Pres. Motlhanhe, cholera in Zimbabwe etc. She is getting more interested in news by the day. I have a spot of trouble with my P.C. but will post a video of her reading this week.

Hi Nicole
Good to hear from you. The High School Musical thing is great fun and I think she really enjoys being able to really understand the movie now.

Hi Retha
Thanks for the info. Will check it out!