A walk to the stables

A walk to the stables
Tamerin at the horses: we walked there on Thursday and talked rugby nearly all the way!

Monday, March 1, 2010

15th Birthday!

Tamerin turned 15 last week. She has grown so tall and is slimming down very nicely. She has lost about 5 kg since last year. Water aerobics seem to be paying dividents - even though she still has bit of a spare tyre around the waist, it is so much better and I am really proud of her. A major goal is now to improve posture: she and I are inclined to slouch. I let her stand with eyes closed in front of the mirror. When she opens her eyes, I let her focus on a pelvic tilt to see what wonders that does to her posture and how much better her clothes look. (She is to remind me to stand up straight, but she has never done it. None of us wants to look like an old woman!)

I could not attend her birthday party on the Saturday, so I packed a picnic on her actual birthday and her mother, her grandmother, Tammy and I had a lunch in a park.

One of the gifts I gave Tammy was a book by the Jonas Brothers. In it there are interview type questions to each brother e.g. "What type of ice-cream do you like best?" "What is the best movie you have ever seen?" Before we went on the picnic Tammy practised some of these questions. Asking questions is just as difficult as formulating answers! She asked us these questions at the picnic. At first she was hesitant, but soon warmed to the idea. This could become an annual event!

You might have noticed that she no longer blogs. That is because, all of a sudden, she can no longer copy and paste her diary onto her blogs. It is quite a shame - she has kept a journal (with my help of course) for two years and her sentence construction, spelling, typing etc. have improved much. However, the diary thing has become a bit boring: its always more or less about where they went and what they ate, and perhaps about what school work we did. She never writes of own accord about how she felt.

I now want her to write dialogues. She is still inclined to have conversations with imaginary people. I do not want her to "speak to herself" because she does this in front of other people and other children, especially, just think she is "mad". I do recognize her need to express herself in conversation though, and therefore creative writing will now be "conversations".

By the way, the PACE she has to do this week is just about homonyms: underline the correct word: e.g. flew/ flue. (Who needs to know what a flue is? Certainly not Tamerin.) This goes against all I have tried to teach. I believe these exercises will just confuse her in the long run. She did a few of these underline exercises and did them quite well, but I think that is because she has known these words in context for a long time. She has never confused "eight" and "ate". Generally she even gets her "their"and "there" right.

Anyway, I have made a list of the new vocabulary in the book and will teach these words to her separately - I am convinced if she learns earn and urn at the same time, she is bound to use the wrong word! Who needs to know about homonyms anyway? As long as you know the words and can spell them and use them correctly in context.

God, please help me to make the right teaching decisions for Tamerin!

5 comments:

Molytail said...

Happy [late] birthday Tamerin!! Wow, 15 ~ awesome!


Ha, I talk to myself....learned long ago not to pay any mind to those giving me odd looks. :-P

Nah, I know what you mean ~ it's the little things that can help with social interactions. ;-)

I've no doubt that you're making the right decisions ~ you know her, you know what will work and what will just get her all confused. I do that sort of thing all the time with Christopher - part of the wonderfulness of homeschooling is being able to make the choices that you know will work best for each individual child. :-)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Congrats to Tamerin! And happy belated fifteenth birthday!!

Adelaide Dupont said...

What about the Floo Network in Harry Potter?

Genuinely mentally ill people have the voices in their heads. They do not externalise them.

And also, the voices are distressing.

We earned money to buy the urn.

Happy 15th, Tamerin.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Postscript:

And getting there, their and they're is a lot more than many native English speakers do, with or without other impediment.

You and Tamerin might like to read this diary together:

Sarah Ely: Class of 2008. The real life of one in her 20s

Miekie said...

Hi Molytail
Good to hear from you!

Hi Mrs. C
Tamerin was thrilled.

Hi Adelaide
Floo... I wonder how many more homonyms there are?!
Tammy's talking to herself is just a sign of her desire to speak fluently and to have friends.
Many thanks for the link to Sarah.