A walk to the stables

A walk to the stables
Tamerin at the horses: we walked there on Thursday and talked rugby nearly all the way!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Conversations

Tammy now types out imaginary conversations instead of writing her diary. Conversations challenge her to formulate questions and to use present, future and past tenses, wherease "diary"only required "telling sentences"and the past tense.
Before she writes out her conversation, we orally practise conversations she could have - from imaginary dates with Nick Jonas till possible ones like telling her brother about antioxidants!
I am quite excited about her progress in this regard. She still struggles, but boy, has she come a long way!!
Now the biggest hurdle is to get her not to be too shy to speak to real people. On Friday I told her that the gym coach would like some feedback from us, and I suggested she tell her which exercises she likes and which ones she doesn't like so much. So we practised a possible conversation on our way to the gym:
"Gill, I really enjoy water aerobics. I like the floating exercises a lot, but I do not really like the kicking exercises. Thank you so much for helping me." (Gill is the first and only instructor to really pay individual attention to each of us, including Tammy.)
And on Friday, Gill really paid a lot of extra attention to Tammy, showing her how to improve and giving her positive feedback whenever she succeeded. At the end of the lesson she said to me that Tammy had really improved. It was the opportune moment for Tamerin's conversation with Gill, so I urged Tammy to speak to Gill and then moved away. It was to be between her and Gill.... On her way out Gill said to me that she thought she had understood Tammy....

Praise the Lord that Tamerin finally got the courage to say something more than "Hello" to a "stranger". Please pray that her tongue will be unleashed much more, so that she can be free to communicate. How frustrating to have to "practice" such simple conversations! But how thrilling for her to slowly (finally) overcome her inability to speak coherently and to "wow" herself by being able to express herself and answer questions - no matter how simple the topic.

9 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I know this is a very big deal! I'm so glad this coach is taking such a personal interest! This is a safe place to open up and do a little of the harder things. :)

Fatcat said...

That's great that she was able to do that. It's really hard for the shy to overcome a hurdle like that. My daughter is 13 and can carry on a conversation perfectly well, but will not speak to an adults she doesn't know. She rarely even speaks to her grandma and she sees her 3-4 times a week!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Great to hear about Tammy's conversation with Gill.

I hope God does unloosen her tongue.

Adelaide Dupont said...

And I hope God unblocks other people's ears too.

Skyline College said...

post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon
mba

Adelaide Dupont said...

Also I would be greatly appreciative if you would put up one of the Nick Jonas-Tamerin conversations as well.

It couldn't be much worse than what's in the gossip papers, and it might be appreciably better.

Miekie said...

Hi All
So sorry I haven't responded for so long!

Hi Mrs. C
It's an uphill battle, but the progress makes it worthwhile. Just wish I knew how to speed up the progress!

Hi Cat
Being shy is a problem, but not being able to freely speak is worse. Even if she wanted to, she just can't express herself easily.

Hi Adelaide
Ha-ha! Tammy's conversations are so innocent! I'm at home now, so don't have her conversations - they're all on her P.C., but I'll try to copy some. Last time we tried she couldn't copy and paste anything onto her blog, so she stopped blogging.

Miekie said...

Hi Strangers with strange (for me) typing and cryptic messages. Something funny is going on here, so I'm going to try to enable comment moderation - hope you understand!

Miekie said...

Hi Skyline
Glad you enjoyed the blog, and so sorry that I haven't blogged again! Hope we haven't lost you as regular visitors!